Geology application

Now that WeatherLog is basically done for now, I’ve started working on a new program. This one is meant to help keep organize a rock/mineral/fossil collection.

The current title is Rock Collector, but that’s a very boring name that I’ll almost certainly change later, as soon as I think of something better.

So far all I’ve done is planning how the data will be stored and other boring stuff, as well as starting on the basic UI:

Rock Collector_001The main UI will be divided into three tabs, one for each type of data. Each tab will then have a set of columns to display the relevant fields.

There are a few fields that everything (rocks, minerals, and fossils) will have: date collected, location found, notes, and image. There is also an ID field, but this is just the way that the program keeps track of the items.

In addition to those, each type has different fields that are relevant to that type. Rock has name, type, color, texture, structure and hardness. Mineral has name, color, luster, streak, hardness, specific gravity, cleavage, and crystal structure. Fossil has age, species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, and kingdom.

That’s really all I’ve gotten done so far. The code is on GitHub, and I’ll probably create SourceForge and Freecode pages once this gets somewhere close to usable.

Advertisements

WeatherLog 1.0

What’s Changed?

  • Minor improvements:
    • Import now shows the confirmation dialog after the file has been selected.
    • Fixed bug where clicking Cancel in the Clear All Data dialog would close the application.
    • An error dialog is now displayed if nothing was selected for Remove, instead of failing silently.
    • Help will now open in a new browser window, if possible.
    • Fixed inconsistency with the dialogs for Remove Profile.
    • Added checkbox in Options window for specifying whether the window size should be remembered on close and restored later.
    • Clear All Data no longer displays the profile name in the dialog title.
    • About window now displays the program icon and full license text.
    • Fixed bug where Info in Range would display the wrong default date in the calendar.
    • Application data is now stored in ~/.weatherlog.*
  • New features:
    • Manual Save, for saving data without closing the application.
    • Reload Current Data, for reloading the current weather.json file.
  • Code improvements:
    • Updated/improved comments.
    • Updated error messages.
    • Removed unnecessary code.
    • Import statements now only import the needed classes/functions, instead of wildcard importing.
    • Miscellaneous dialogs now use three functions (show_alert_dialog(), show_error_dialog(), show_question_dialog()) to shorten the code needed each time.
    • Updated to python-weather-api 0.3.5.

Download

Downloads can be found on the SourceForge page, and the code is available on Github.

This will probably be the last release of WeatherLog for a while, as I’ve implemented everything I can. I’d still like to do graphs at some point, but I’ll need to read a bit on how to do that within GTK+.

* This means that if you want to use prior data, you’ll need to rename the older data folder ~/.weatherornot to ~/.weatherlog for this version to be able to use it.

WeatherLog 0.4

What’s changed?

  • Info in Range now defaults to having the first dialog display the first date entered and the second dialog the last.
  • Added a new offline help page, with a table of contents.
  • An error message will now be displayed if data couldn’t be pre-filled.
  • The dialog telling the user data has been pre-filled now displays the city and country, instead of the latitude and longitude.
  • Updated to a newer version of python-weather-api.

Download

Downloads can be found on the SourceForge page, and the code is available on Github.

Goodbye Weather Or Not, Hello WeatherLog

Due to a company already using the name Weather Or Not and not particularly liking that I did as well, this application will now be known by the horribly generic name of WeatherLog.

The project name has changed on Github, Sourceforge, and Freecode.

Also, I released version 0.3.1, which just changes the name and improves how “None” values are treated when calculating information.

(All previous blog posts about this are temporarily set to private until I can get around to editing them, and the old downloads are removed as well.)